Following on from the Great Facts of Fire* article, we have put together some simple ways to avoid a fire at home.
A number of hair straighteners today have automatic switch off timers. If you have straighteners that do not switch off, keep a reminder for yourself next to them to switch them off before you leave the house. Implementing a “switch” routine for everyone in the house could be a useful introduction; switch off as many switches as you can before leaving home.
It’s very easy to get distracted when something sudden happens whilst you are ironing and you could end up leaving the iron on the clothing, or left switched on, especially when in a rush. This is dangerous for a number of reasons; pets and children could come across it or it could eventually burn and cause a fire.
Always opt for a fully qualified electrical technician to carry out any electrical fixes and testing at home. Ensure wires are not tangled and do not overload extension leads.
Cooking, as previously mentioned, is one of the biggest causes of fire in households. When cooking or frying, do not leave the stove or fryer unattended. Also, be aware of your attire, and avoid long draped sleeves whilst cooking, not forgetting to move any tea towels that could potentially catch the flame.
Always ensure you have a safety screen in front of fireplaces, and remember to get your chimney regularly cleaned.
Ensure you educate your children on fire safety, causes, risks and procedures.
Do you really need to light that candle? If you do, rather than a naked flame, why not try a safety candle instead? Or an LED candle? Which are perfect alternatives for creating the desired atmosphere, but without the unnecessary risk. Also, remember pets and children are unpredictable, do not leave a candle on if you have children, pets or even guests.
Have electric blankets regularly checked and ensure you do not sleep with them on or leave the house whilst they are left switched on.
It is important to get your smoke alarm checked and serviced at least once a year, and test it yourself every month. Check the batteries often and do a test evacuation at home and at work so everyone would know what to do in the event of a fire, including the little ones.
It is always handy to have a fire extinguisher at home, usually somewhere in the kitchen and hallway.
Although many people now choose to smoke outdoors, if you do happen to smoke inside your home, then be ultra-wary of where you are placing and disposing of your cigarettes. Try a cigarette snuffer cube, or similar, and leave it in your ashtray. This instantly distinguishes the fire from your cigarette butt. Also, always keep lighters away from heat and direct sunlight, as well as prying little fingers.
Involve your family and set up a fire routine and escape plan. Between yourselves, know and agree on what to do and what not to do in the different circumstances, and work out different escape routes. Ensure you all go to bed with doors firmly closed, this prevents fire from spreading really quickly, giving you more time to escape in the event of a fire.
So, practise these simple routines and tips to ensure you are doing everything you can to avoid an unfortunate incident within your home. If your home has been affected by fire, give www.relkogroup.com a call today; we specialise in fire and flood restoration and will do our utmost to ensure we restore your home back to normal, as soon as possible.