Fire Causes: Spotlight on Electric Blankets
In our previous spotlight article, we mentioned the risks of items we don't really pay much attention to when it comes to fire risk. In this article, we will concentrate on electric blankets.
Electric blankets are widely used by millions of people. The majority of these are used by people of a senior age. There have been thousands of incidents in the past years involving faulty electric blankets or the misuse of them. A lot of these incidents have ultimately led to serious injury or death. Check out our fire and flood restoration services right here.
So, here at Relko Group, we thought we would put together some safety tips to help reduce the chances of a fire being caused by your electric blanket:
- Always purchase your electric blanket from a reputable supplier and ensure it complies with the latest British safety standards
- Never buy a second-hand electric blanket
- Get your blanket tested every 2-3 years
- If your blanket has started to fray or shows signs of wear and tear, stop using it
- Never leave the electric blanket on for long periods of time
- Never leave the electric blanket on throughout the night, whilst you are asleep
- Always check the mains plug for any damage or hissing noises when switched on
- Keep liquids away from the electric blanket, they are not built for contact with liquid, so ensure it is dry
- Check regularly for scorch marks or bare elements
- Never use a hot water bottle with an electric blanket
- If you are putting the blanket away, ensure you store it flat and in a dry place
- If your blanket is over 10 years old, dispose of it and replace with a new one
- Most new blankets available today have an overheating sensor and switch themselves off after a certain point, these are safer
- Electric blankets are a cause of thousands of fires a year and have also been responsible for deaths and serious injury
- Ensure you regularly test and service your smoke alarms
However, in the unfortunate event that you are a victim to damage in your home as a result of fire, caused by an electric blanket or anything else, here, at Relko Group, we understand how hard it is to get back to a normal daily routine after such a frightening incident. Rest assured, we are here to help you get your home back to normal with our fire restoration service. For more information or if you would like to enquire about the type of service we offer, then get in touch today or visit our website.