How to Spot Water Damage
As a homeowner, it is important to keep on top of building maintenance, particularly during winter, when bad weather is at its worst. Being vigilant and proactive when it comes to spotting the signs of water damage and mould can prevent the situation from spiralling into something much worse.
An unexpected or extended period of heavy rain or snow can cause a lot of damage in a short space of time if your building or home is not adequately protected. Here at Relkogroup, we provide a water restoration damage service and come face to face with the heartbreak and worry it can cause for many homeowners.
While you can never be fully protected against the elements, there are certain steps or measures you can take to spot the signs early and hopefully prevent any damage to your home beyond repair.
- Check exterior pipes for signs of leaks and damage. Any wet patches or leaks are a bad sign that need rectifying immediately
- Check your roof tiles; damaged or missing roof shingles can allow water to get into your house easier
- Check gutters are clear of fallen debris, blockages and are generally in good condition
- Check external drains are not blocked, as this can cause flooding
- Check your attic thoroughly. Ensure your insulation is dry and in good condition, check for puddles and pools of standing water that may have come in through the roof, and use a camera and torch to get a full view of your attic space. If you can smell damp, be thorough in finding the source before it gets worse
- Inspect ceilings and walls thoroughly. Water stains show up as darker than the paint, possibly yellowing or beige if a long term problem exists
- You should also check door frames and windows for damp and moisture. Any wet patches could indicate a lack of ventilation as well as water damage
- If you notice a crack in your drywall or an area that looks soft and swollen, then it has more than likely been exposed to water and requires some work
- Check pipes behind your sinks and washing machines, as well as in your bathroom, for rust, missing caulk or wet patches
- Finally, if your wooden floors are slightly buckled or warped, then this is a sign of exposure to water
Any sign of water (leaked or otherwise) in your home can indicate a disaster just waiting to happen, along with an unsightly attack of mould and an unpleasant smell. As well as the obvious, this could severely damage the integrity of your building and require work from the professionals, such as our water restoration damage team.
For further information on our water damage restoration work, as well as our other services, please do not hesitate to contact us.