Now if you thought that the office loos were the only place where germs went wild, then this article may come as a bit of a party pooper as we lift the lid on the germs vacating your office space. As something of a forewarning, prepare to be shocked, stunned and startled as we delve into the germ-filled bowls of the modern office space.
1. Water Fountains - Ahh there's nothing more refreshing than getting a nice gulp of water aye? Well studies suggest that you may be getting a lot more than just a quick burst of hydration. According to an article written by Time, traces of the animal, vegetable, yeast and mould celled molecule Adenosine Triphosphate (ATP for short) were found to be present on the buttons of water fountains. In the study that saw 5,000 surfaces swabbed using an ATP meter, it was found that 23% of water fountain buttons had ATP counts of 300 or higher!
2. Refrigerator Door Handles - When we think of germs and mould in relation to refrigerators our concern is more often directed inwards than outwards. The very thought of old food rotting away next to our fresh produce is enough to turn many people's stomachs. Well maybe it's time we redirected our bile-filled stomachs towards the refrigerator door handle. Studies have shown that handles are in fact a breeding ground for germs and bacteria.
3. Keyboards - Widely regarded as a ‘cesspool' for germs and a whole host of other grimey guests the humble keyboard isn't as harmless as it may appear. A BBC article entitled "Keyboards 'dirtier than a toilet" highlighted a study that was carried out by the consumer group ‘Which?' Their dirt-foraging forage conducted at their London offices "found equipment carrying bugs that could cause food poisoning." Out of the 33 keyboards swabbed, four of them were deemed as potential health hazards and one harboured five times more germs than one of the office's toilet seats.
4. Office Phone - Say hello to the next germ-infested area on our list of ‘The 5 dirtiest areas of the office'; the office phone. According to an article posted on PR daily, on average, "office phones host around 25,000 germs per square inch." This germ-infested get together is due to the number of people who come into contact with phones in the office, transferring their germs from surface to surface.
5. Sink Handles - In many people's view the office sink is by far the dirtiest place in the office - cbsnews most definitely agree. The news giant claimed that "Seventy-five percent of them had ‘officially dirty' readings, while 91 percent of them could be cleaner."
There you have it the 5 dirtiest areas of the office brought to you by Relko Cleaning & support.
Relko Cleaning and Support Services offer the most comprehensive office, commercial and industrial cleaning services in Birmingham. For more information regarding any of our services, please contact us via the contact options available.